The Ontario Government has declared that massage therapists can return to work on a limited basis: to “prioritise clients with essential care needs.” .That does not mean that it 100% safe to return to work so I will be taking extra precautions to keep both you and me well.
My government regulating body is the College of Massage Therapy (CMTO). Their job is to protect the general public. They recently released a raw draft of instructions that must be implemented at all massage therapy clinics. I will be following their instructions and more.
Of course, there is so much not really known about the virus and so the story is still evolving. What seems to have worked is social distancing and I have been applying that rigorously in my personal life.
Because there will be the need to clean and sanitise areas of the clinic, I will be increasing the time I allow between clients. That means that when you arrive for your appointment, the door to my room will be open: there will be no waiting in the waiting room and risk contagion from people waiting for other therapists. This is important. This only works if you arrive on time for your appointment - please not early or late.
Please arrive wearing a clean disposable or reusable mask to be worn throughout the treatment. However, there may be reasons that you do not need to wear a mask during your massage session if it causes you to experience breathing difficulties.
Controlling the spread of the virus by social distancing seems to have worked in our province. Of course, in the context of massage therapy, this is not entirely possible, but I feel that we can adopt certain precautions to keep both you and me safe from infection.
A few extra steps:
1. With your electronic appointment reminder sent the day before, you will receive with that the following declaration:
“By attending my appointment...
I agree that I am not currently experiencing any of these symptoms:
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Sore throat
- New loss of taste or smell
Please note: Other less common symptoms have been reported, including gastrointestinal symptoms like nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea.
I agree that I have not:
- Tested positive for COVID-19
- Knowingly been exposed to someone with COVID-19
- Recently traveled to an area with a high infection rate
- Been in an area where social distancing was not properly observed
- Been to a nursing home
If you have experienced any of the above, please reschedule your appointment at least 14 days from now.
2. I do need to have an up-to-date case history intake form completed within the past year. Please complete this on line as well as confirm by ticking the box that you have not experienced the above symptoms.
I will look forward to seeing you all again and helping to keep you in good health. I have missed you.